Increase Your Mental Strength
Your brain plays an important role in your success at work, school, and home. You must maximize its efficiency by studying brain-based learning material, such as the information outlined in this article. This is especially important within the office environment when you have clients coming in and out of the office, employees interrupting your workflow, the telephone ringing…and that’s just to name a few. But there are ways to keep employees more efficient, on-task and increase their mental strength.
There are five key factors that can help you maximize your brain’s learning power.
- Concentration – to turn off outside distractions and focus, you must be able to concentrate your thoughts on a single task. Most people recognize that it is important to However, it can be difficult to accomplish if you have numerous environmental distractions.
- Adaptability – This is best defined as the capacity to move between mental tasks that require a different type of thought process. For instance, you may need to be able to switch from writing a report, to doing a client intake to a task that requires mathematical reflection. Each of these tasks requires you to use a different thinking style, and your ability to move between them quickly is essential for succeeding in today’s complex world.
- Stamina – How long can you stay in the groove working on a mentally challenging piece of work? Your ability to sustain your creativity and focus over a long period is an important asset when performing tasks that cannot be quickly completed.
- Multi-Tasking – Is there anyone in the firm who is not working on several projects simultaneously? We need to be able to switch between each task quickly and smoothly when the need arrives. Your ability to arrive to adjust and refocus your efforts when priorities change is another mental strength.
- Mental Coordination – This means you can do three marketing reports at the same time. When your mind has coordination, it means you can juggle several different but equally demanding mental tasks at once or in the same day.
The Key to Brain Strenght Success
The key element to developing all of these important mental powers is your capacity to sustain focus. There are many on-line brain games or apps that you can use to “strengthen” your brain power. But there are also some simple little tasks you can try that may just help you develop focus. Here is one for you, your staff and your employees to try:
Sit down and get comfortable. Relax. Make sure you are breathing rhythmically before starting the exercise. For a full minute, focus your gaze on the second hand of a watch or clock. Make sure you still your mind and let no thoughts or events distract your silent gaze. When you become aware that your attention has slipped, gently nudge your mind back into focus on the second hand. Repeat this exercise every day until you can comfortably stay focused for the entire minute.